Sunday, April 3, 2011

Trek to Thailand


25 hours of travel later, we have landed in Bangkok Thailand. One more flight left, and we will be the happy recipients of a much needed shower and an equally needed ten-dollar, 90 minute Thai traveler massage in Chaing Mai.

We have flown in 4 different countries and crossed the international date line. I keep asking, “What day is it? “What day is it?” and I am sure I am annoying Joe but I can't stand not knowing. I gave up on time I don't know how long ago and am now settling for simply knowing what day of the week it is (Thursday!). I feel stoned from too much sudafed, 2 hour naps and mediocre (JS edit: awful) airplane food. I ate beef porriage for breakfast on the plane. It was soupy glass noodles with freeze dried beef cubes. I can only hear out of one ear as I decided a head cold was the perfect accompianment to international travel and obtained one the day we left.

The bangkok airport is beautiful - stark geodesic architechture, white tile floors and modern orange chairs. I have even tried convince myself the birds trapped inside might be happy.

So far, the Thais are lovely. The land of smiles has indeed been such. I tried out my first sa-wa-de-kah (hello) as they examined our shaving cream in immigration and it earned a smile from the airport security guard.

I lost my favorite pair of tweezers to security in Hong Kong and promptly informed Joe I would need a replacement. He faultily assumed I meant when we returned to the US. I meant upon leaving the airport. How Joe manages to fly half way around the world with “breaskfast” in a tupperware and I can't hold onto basic toiletries will always be a mystery to me.

Joe picked up yesterdays newspaper on the way onto the last plane. He unfolded it, “ah, hmm...”-ed a bit, and informed me that we might have a problem. The front page shows a disaster scene from Tuesday's flooding in the gulf of thailand, our second destination. Thousands of toursists are stranded. All flights in and out of the area are cancled. The Thai Navy and the only two military helicopters in Thailand(?- It made it sound that way) are enroute to evacuate people. We are due there next tuesday to complete our Open Water Diver certification, oh my. The storm is expected to move west to the Andaman Sea- which could have been a backup diving site. Well, at least it isn't radioactive?

Ha! As I am writing this joe is using the airport computer for free wi-fi and just read about two magnitude 7 earthquakes that hit Chaing Mai, our current destination, last night...Apparently, Joe and I are just chasing natural disasters around the globe.

A man and his wife/son just offered me a pork bun. I am convinced this is going to be a great trip despite the earthquakes, floods and relentless flights.

No comments:

Post a Comment